Jerry Nelson, Count of 'Sesame Street,' dies at 78
LOS ANGELES (AP) -August 25,2 012 (WPVI) -- Jerry Nelson, the puppeteer behind Count von Count on PBS' "Sesame Street," has died.
Sesame Workshop says Nelson, who suffered from emphysema, died Thursday night in his Massachusetts home on Cape Cod. He was 78.
A tribute to Nelson was posted on the educational workshop's website. It lauds Nelson for his artistry and the "laughter he brought to children worldwide" with the count and other Muppet characters, including Herry Monster and the Amazing Mumford.
Nelson also performed characters on the "Fraggle Rock" show, including Gobo Fraggle.
In recent years, Nelson stopped operating the Count and other "Sesame Street" puppets but still served as their voices.
The workshop says the new season of Sesame Street launches next month and Jerry Nelson's voice will be heard.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Man freed from under train on Broad Street Line
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet 6 min ago
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish
- Area medical schools use 'Jeopardy' as learning tool