Jerry Nelson, Count of 'Sesame Street,' dies at 78
LOS ANGELES (AP) -August 25,2 012 (WPVI) -- Jerry Nelson, the puppeteer behind Count von Count on PBS' "Sesame Street," has died.
Sesame Workshop says Nelson, who suffered from emphysema, died Thursday night in his Massachusetts home on Cape Cod. He was 78.
A tribute to Nelson was posted on the educational workshop's website. It lauds Nelson for his artistry and the "laughter he brought to children worldwide" with the count and other Muppet characters, including Herry Monster and the Amazing Mumford.
Nelson also performed characters on the "Fraggle Rock" show, including Gobo Fraggle.
In recent years, Nelson stopped operating the Count and other "Sesame Street" puppets but still served as their voices.
The workshop says the new season of Sesame Street launches next month and Jerry Nelson's voice will be heard.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Rangers top Flyers in playoff opener 4-1