Jerry Nelson, Count of 'Sesame Street,' dies at 78
LOS ANGELES (AP) -August 25,2 012 (WPVI) -- Jerry Nelson, the puppeteer behind Count von Count on PBS' "Sesame Street," has died.
Sesame Workshop says Nelson, who suffered from emphysema, died Thursday night in his Massachusetts home on Cape Cod. He was 78.
A tribute to Nelson was posted on the educational workshop's website. It lauds Nelson for his artistry and the "laughter he brought to children worldwide" with the count and other Muppet characters, including Herry Monster and the Amazing Mumford.
Nelson also performed characters on the "Fraggle Rock" show, including Gobo Fraggle.
In recent years, Nelson stopped operating the Count and other "Sesame Street" puppets but still served as their voices.
The workshop says the new season of Sesame Street launches next month and Jerry Nelson's voice will be heard.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Sunny and Cooler! 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and Cooler!
5 min ago