'Enlightenment' gala to open London's Paralympics
LONDON (AP) -August 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Who better to help welcome the Paralympics than a scientist who has shown the world that physical limitations do not limit human potential?
"Enlightenment" is the theme, physicist Stephen Hawking the guide and Olympic Stadium the venue Wednesday night as London welcomes 4,200 athletes from 166 nations and territories to the 2012 Paralympic Games.
The extravaganza, directed by Bradley Hemmings and Jenny Sealey, will include 73 deaf and disabled professional performers and 68 disabled people among its 3,250 volunteers.
And of course, this being Britain, the words of Shakespeare will once again make an appearance: "The greatest adventure is what lies ahead."
Over the next 11 days, Paralympic athletes will compete in 20 sports, including archery, cycling, rowing, equestrian, sailing, sitting volleyball, wheelchair rugby, wheelchair tennis and wheelchair basketball.
london, olympics, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe 53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police try to ID mystery hit-and-run victim 37 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China 11 min ago
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
53 min ago
- Police try to ID mystery hit-and-run victim
37 min ago