'Enlightenment' gala to open London's Paralympics
LONDON (AP) -August 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Who better to help welcome the Paralympics than a scientist who has shown the world that physical limitations do not limit human potential?
"Enlightenment" is the theme, physicist Stephen Hawking the guide and Olympic Stadium the venue Wednesday night as London welcomes 4,200 athletes from 166 nations and territories to the 2012 Paralympic Games.
The extravaganza, directed by Bradley Hemmings and Jenny Sealey, will include 73 deaf and disabled professional performers and 68 disabled people among its 3,250 volunteers.
And of course, this being Britain, the words of Shakespeare will once again make an appearance: "The greatest adventure is what lies ahead."
Over the next 11 days, Paralympic athletes will compete in 20 sports, including archery, cycling, rowing, equestrian, sailing, sitting volleyball, wheelchair rugby, wheelchair tennis and wheelchair basketball.
london, olympics, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)