'Enlightenment' gala to open London's Paralympics
LONDON (AP) -August 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Who better to help welcome the Paralympics than a scientist who has shown the world that physical limitations do not limit human potential?
"Enlightenment" is the theme, physicist Stephen Hawking the guide and Olympic Stadium the venue Wednesday night as London welcomes 4,200 athletes from 166 nations and territories to the 2012 Paralympic Games.
The extravaganza, directed by Bradley Hemmings and Jenny Sealey, will include 73 deaf and disabled professional performers and 68 disabled people among its 3,250 volunteers.
And of course, this being Britain, the words of Shakespeare will once again make an appearance: "The greatest adventure is what lies ahead."
Over the next 11 days, Paralympic athletes will compete in 20 sports, including archery, cycling, rowing, equestrian, sailing, sitting volleyball, wheelchair rugby, wheelchair tennis and wheelchair basketball.
london, olympics, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 35 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del. 18 min ago
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark,...
18 min ago