Author Judy Blume diagnosed with breast cancer
NEW YORK (AP) - September 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Children's author Judy Blume says she was diagnosed with breast cancer over the summer but is "feeling stronger every day" after surgery.
The 74-year-old Blume wrote on her blog Wednesday that she learned in June that she had cancer and underwent a mastectomy and reconstruction in late July. She writes that she now walks a couple of miles each morning and dines out at night. Blume hopes to begin writing again soon.
She noted that her cancer hadn't been detected by a mammogram or regular physical exam because she has dense breast tissue. Her message for women in a similar situation: Get a sonogram.
Blume's books include "Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret?", "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" and "Deenie."
cancer, new york, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 2 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft 51 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting 56 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian killed in Collingdale hit-and-run
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
2 min ago
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart...
51 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton...
56 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos