Author Judy Blume diagnosed with breast cancer
NEW YORK (AP) - September 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Children's author Judy Blume says she was diagnosed with breast cancer over the summer but is "feeling stronger every day" after surgery.
The 74-year-old Blume wrote on her blog Wednesday that she learned in June that she had cancer and underwent a mastectomy and reconstruction in late July. She writes that she now walks a couple of miles each morning and dines out at night. Blume hopes to begin writing again soon.
She noted that her cancer hadn't been detected by a mammogram or regular physical exam because she has dense breast tissue. Her message for women in a similar situation: Get a sonogram.
Blume's books include "Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret?", "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" and "Deenie."
cancer, new york, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill 55 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar