Jury to decide value of some Jackson copyrights
LOS ANGELES (AP) - September 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- Michael Jackson's estate will begin making its case to a jury that a businessman working with the singer's mother should be forced to pay millions of dollars for infringing on several copyrights.
The amount is the sole issue at stake in a trial set to begin on Tuesday against Howard Mann, who has collaborated with Katherine Jackson on several projects, including a book.
A judge has already ruled that Mann violated Jackson estate copyrights and ordered his website shut down. His attorneys argue the estate doesn't actually own the proper rights and the ruling should be tossed out, but a judge has refused to reconsider his ruling.
The infringed works include cover art from Jackson's posthumous film "This Is It," and a silhouette of the singer dancing to his hit "Smooth Criminal."
The estate's case is expected to hinge on one expert witness who has estimated the cost of a license for the works is between $5 million and $12 million.
Mann's attorneys rejected a settlement offer last week of $2 million. Jackson's estate, who sued over the works in January 2011, is also asking that Mann be forced to pay its attorneys' fees.
Mann's lawyers have sought to introduce evidence that they were given bad legal advice about having to license the works, and have considered calling Katherine Jackson as a witness. The Jackson family matriarch is one of the beneficiaries of the singer's estate, along with his three children.
U.S. District Judge Dean D. Pregerson has noted that Mann doesn't appear to have the resources to pay a large judgment.
michael jackson, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 2 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 2 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 2 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 2 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
2 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
2 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos