Kathy Bates recovering from double mastectomy
NEW YORK (AP) - September 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- Kathy Bates says she is recovering from a double mastectomy.
The Oscar-winning actress tweeted on Wednesday that she was diagnosed with breast cancer two months ago. But in a separate post, she said she doesn't miss her breasts as much as "Harry's Law," her NBC law drama that was canceled last May.
An ovarian cancer survivor for "nine years and counting," Bates, 64, released a statement through her publicist saying that she decided to have the operation "after much consideration" and won't have to undergo radiation or chemotherapy. Her doctors have assured her she'll be around "for a long time."
"My family calls me Kat because I always land on my feet and thankfully this is no exception," Bates said. "I'm looking forward to getting back to work doing what I love to do."
Bates won a Best Actress Oscar in 1991 for "Misery," and this year is nominated for two Emmys: For "Harry's Law" and for her guest shot on "Two and a Half Men."
breast cancer, new york, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 25 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman 20 min ago
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 13 min ago
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth 29 min ago
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more