Bob Dylan: Stigma of slavery ruined America
NEW YORK (AP) -September 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- Bob Dylan says the stigma of slavery ruined America and he doubts the country can get rid of the shame because it was "founded on the backs of slaves."
The veteran musician tells Rolling Stone that in America "people (are) at each other's throats just because they are of a different color," adding that "it will hold any nation back." He also says blacks know that some whites "didn't want to give up slavery."
The 71-year-old Dylan said, "If slavery had been given up in a more peaceful way, America would be far ahead today."
When asked if President Barack Obama was helping to shift a change, Dylan says: "I don't have any opinion on that. You have to change your heart if you want to change."
The magazine's new issue hits newsstands Friday.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment 44 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel 56 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious'