Springsteen celebrates birthday with mom onstage
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - September 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- Bruce Springsteen celebrated his 63rd birthday onstage until nearly 2 a.m. Sunday, joined at the end by his hearty mom.
Adele Springsteen danced and sang background to "Twist and Shout," walking offstage with her son and his band at nearly 2. Her only concession to age was a pair of hastily made earplugs.
She watched as her son cut a giant cake in the shape of a guitar, passing out pieces to some audience members.
His show in the open-air MetLife Stadium was delayed three hours Saturday by authorities because of a downpour and worries about lightning. Thousands of fans clustered on indoor ramps waiting for the rain to stop.
When it did, Springsteen and his E Street Band took the stage at 10:30 p.m. to the strains of Wilson Pickett's "In the Midnight Hour," a song they performed when the clock hit that mark. They also covered Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Who'll Stop the Rain," and it worked.
"Thank you for your patience," Springsteen told the audience. He said it had been a long time since he had performed on his birthday.
It was the third of a three-night stand at his home state arena.
new jersey, bruce springsteen, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 2 dead in Pennsauken doctor's office shooting 23 min ago
- Stormy to spectacular 2 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Chrysler recalls 2.7 million Jeeps
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- US: Unruly traveler had worked at State Department 30 min ago
- Man accused of sexual relationship with teen niece
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Phillies activate Carlos Ruiz from disabled list 51 min ago
- Photos: Ducklings saved from Del. storm drain
- Stormy to spectacular
2 min ago