Texas judge orders DNA tests in Hemsley death
EL PASO, Texas (AP) - September 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- A probate judge in West Texas has ordered DNA testing on a man who claims to be the brother of actor Sherman Hemsley.
Judge Patricia Chew on Monday delayed the El Paso trial on the estate of the star of "The Jeffersons" television show. Hemsley died July 24 of lung cancer. His body remains at an El Paso funeral home amid the dispute.
Hemsley's will names his longtime manager Flora Enchinton of El Paso as sole beneficiary.
Richard Thornton of Philadelphia sought the DNA testing and must provide results by Oct. 15. The estate trial has been rescheduled for Oct. 31.
Hemsley was born in Philadelphia but lived in El Paso for the past 20 years.
Court documents indicate Hemsley's estate is worth more than $50,000.
dna, texas, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Prosecutors: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 18 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia 29 min ago
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard 39 min ago
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua 39 min ago
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond 26 min ago
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Prosecutors: 4 held in deadly NJ mall...
18 min ago
- Police investigate tire slashings in South...
29 min ago