Winfrey's network signs deal with Tyler Perry
NEW YORK (AP) - October 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Oprah Winfrey's OWN network is venturing into scripted programming for the first time through a deal with Tyler Perry.
OWN said Monday that Perry will produce, write and direct two series for the cable network to premiere next year. Perry is the creative force behind movies like "Madea's Family Reunion" and the TBS series "Tyler Perry's House of Payne."
Perry credits advice from Winfrey for helping him write his first musical, "I Know I've Been Changed," in 1992.
After its slow start, OWN has been improving its ratings performance recently - in large part through Winfrey's more aggressive booking of interviews for her own show.
tyler perry, oprah winfrey, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 50 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 26 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 23 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 29 min ago
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 5 min ago
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
16 min ago
- 2 injured after vehicle hits sinkhole in...
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos