Winfrey's network signs deal with Tyler Perry
NEW YORK (AP) - October 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Oprah Winfrey's OWN network is venturing into scripted programming for the first time through a deal with Tyler Perry.
OWN said Monday that Perry will produce, write and direct two series for the cable network to premiere next year. Perry is the creative force behind movies like "Madea's Family Reunion" and the TBS series "Tyler Perry's House of Payne."
Perry credits advice from Winfrey for helping him write his first musical, "I Know I've Been Changed," in 1992.
After its slow start, OWN has been improving its ratings performance recently - in large part through Winfrey's more aggressive booking of interviews for her own show.
tyler perry, oprah winfrey, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 2 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Fire forces several residents from Logan apartments 53 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ 6 min ago
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Rare fish found off Delaware River
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
50 min ago
- Fire forces several residents from Logan...
53 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
2 min ago