Winfrey's network signs deal with Tyler Perry
NEW YORK (AP) - October 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Oprah Winfrey's OWN network is venturing into scripted programming for the first time through a deal with Tyler Perry.
OWN said Monday that Perry will produce, write and direct two series for the cable network to premiere next year. Perry is the creative force behind movies like "Madea's Family Reunion" and the TBS series "Tyler Perry's House of Payne."
Perry credits advice from Winfrey for helping him write his first musical, "I Know I've Been Changed," in 1992.
After its slow start, OWN has been improving its ratings performance recently - in large part through Winfrey's more aggressive booking of interviews for her own show.
tyler perry, oprah winfrey, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos