Winfrey's network signs deal with Tyler Perry
NEW YORK (AP) - October 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Oprah Winfrey's OWN network is venturing into scripted programming for the first time through a deal with Tyler Perry.
OWN said Monday that Perry will produce, write and direct two series for the cable network to premiere next year. Perry is the creative force behind movies like "Madea's Family Reunion" and the TBS series "Tyler Perry's House of Payne."
Perry credits advice from Winfrey for helping him write his first musical, "I Know I've Been Changed," in 1992.
After its slow start, OWN has been improving its ratings performance recently - in large part through Winfrey's more aggressive booking of interviews for her own show.
tyler perry, oprah winfrey, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 30 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- Video: Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
30 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila.
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos