Winfrey's network signs deal with Tyler Perry
NEW YORK (AP) - October 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Oprah Winfrey's OWN network is venturing into scripted programming for the first time through a deal with Tyler Perry.
OWN said Monday that Perry will produce, write and direct two series for the cable network to premiere next year. Perry is the creative force behind movies like "Madea's Family Reunion" and the TBS series "Tyler Perry's House of Payne."
Perry credits advice from Winfrey for helping him write his first musical, "I Know I've Been Changed," in 1992.
After its slow start, OWN has been improving its ratings performance recently - in large part through Winfrey's more aggressive booking of interviews for her own show.
tyler perry, oprah winfrey, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 56 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday 36 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean 32 min ago
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury 44 min ago
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
36 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
56 min ago