One Direction, NFL's Drew Brees join Pepsi for ad
NEW YORK (AP) - October 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- One Direction is Pepsi's newest pop star.
The soda company is partnering with the boy band and NFL star Drew Brees for an ad that will debut this week. The clip shows One Direction and Brees in a head-to-head competition for a can of Pepsi. Brees also performs with the group. It's part of Pepsi's "Live for Now" campaign, which has also featured Nicki Minaj and Katy Perry.
PepsiCo Inc. increased its media spending in the United States by more than 40 percent during the second quarter compared with a year ago. After losing market share to the Coca-Cola Co. in recent years, the company has been pouring more money into marketing in hopes of bolstering its flagship soda. In the past, Pepsi has filmed ads with Michael Jackson, Britney Spears and Beyonce.
One Direction, the platinum-selling British quartet, had a hit this year with the pop song "What Makes You Beautiful." They'll release their sophomore album, "Take Me Home," on Nov. 13.
Brees is the quarterback for the New Orleans Saints. The 33-year-old broke a NFL record by throwing a touchdown pass in his 48th straight game Sunday, eclipsing the mark of 47 consecutive games with a touchdown pass set by Johnny Unitas from 1956-60.
one direction, pepsi cola, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 2 dead in police involved shootings 7 min ago
- Very unsettled Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- SUVs collide in Torresdale, 1 seriously injured 1 min ago
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death 59 min ago
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released 39 min ago
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe 52 min ago
- SEPTA police chief using Twitter to fight crime
- Woods: Garcia comment hurtful, time to move on
- Body of WWII hero returns home after 69 years
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
59 min ago