One Direction, NFL's Drew Brees join Pepsi for ad
NEW YORK (AP) - October 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- One Direction is Pepsi's newest pop star.
The soda company is partnering with the boy band and NFL star Drew Brees for an ad that will debut this week. The clip shows One Direction and Brees in a head-to-head competition for a can of Pepsi. Brees also performs with the group. It's part of Pepsi's "Live for Now" campaign, which has also featured Nicki Minaj and Katy Perry.
PepsiCo Inc. increased its media spending in the United States by more than 40 percent during the second quarter compared with a year ago. After losing market share to the Coca-Cola Co. in recent years, the company has been pouring more money into marketing in hopes of bolstering its flagship soda. In the past, Pepsi has filmed ads with Michael Jackson, Britney Spears and Beyonce.
One Direction, the platinum-selling British quartet, had a hit this year with the pop song "What Makes You Beautiful." They'll release their sophomore album, "Take Me Home," on Nov. 13.
Brees is the quarterback for the New Orleans Saints. The 33-year-old broke a NFL record by throwing a touchdown pass in his 48th straight game Sunday, eclipsing the mark of 47 consecutive games with a touchdown pass set by Johnny Unitas from 1956-60.
one direction, pepsi cola, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Bitter Blast Thursday 45 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Upper Darby man accused of burning son, 3
- Prosecutor: no charges against George Zimmerman
- Protestors block ICE building in Spring Garden
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School 56 min ago
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Power returns after outage at Christiana Mall
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Women sentenced in murder of Danny DeGennaro
- Bitter Blast Thursday
45 min ago