One Direction, NFL's Drew Brees join Pepsi for ad
NEW YORK (AP) - October 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- One Direction is Pepsi's newest pop star.
The soda company is partnering with the boy band and NFL star Drew Brees for an ad that will debut this week. The clip shows One Direction and Brees in a head-to-head competition for a can of Pepsi. Brees also performs with the group. It's part of Pepsi's "Live for Now" campaign, which has also featured Nicki Minaj and Katy Perry.
PepsiCo Inc. increased its media spending in the United States by more than 40 percent during the second quarter compared with a year ago. After losing market share to the Coca-Cola Co. in recent years, the company has been pouring more money into marketing in hopes of bolstering its flagship soda. In the past, Pepsi has filmed ads with Michael Jackson, Britney Spears and Beyonce.
One Direction, the platinum-selling British quartet, had a hit this year with the pop song "What Makes You Beautiful." They'll release their sophomore album, "Take Me Home," on Nov. 13.
Brees is the quarterback for the New Orleans Saints. The 33-year-old broke a NFL record by throwing a touchdown pass in his 48th straight game Sunday, eclipsing the mark of 47 consecutive games with a touchdown pass set by Johnny Unitas from 1956-60.
one direction, pepsi cola, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 39 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 20 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
20 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
39 min ago