Mike Tyson gets Australian visa after NZ rejection
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) - October 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Australia has granted Mike Tyson a visa one week after he was barred from entering New Zealand due to his 1992 rape conviction.
A spokeswoman from Australia's Department of Immigration and Citizenship said Wednesday it had granted the former heavyweight boxing champion an entertainment visa to cover the duration of his five-city Australian tour starting next month. She said officials carefully weighed the pros and cons of his visit and of his character given his criminal past.
The spokeswoman spoke on condition of anonymity because of office policy.
Tyson was to visit both countries on a "Day of the Champions" tour. New Zealand immigration authorities initially granted him a visa before a charity withdrew its support and officials reversed their decision.
Tyson served three years in prison for rape.
new zealand, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville 32 min ago
- Stray Shower, Patchy Fog Tonight 37 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, hit other states 29 min ago
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing 53 min ago
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
- Search for missing college student from...
32 min ago
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, hit...
29 min ago
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA...
53 min ago
- Stray Shower, Patchy Fog Tonight
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos