Savile's headstone removed from cemetery
LONDON (AP) - October 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- The headstone at the grave of a British children's television host has been removed after police said Jimmy Savile may have sexually assaulted more than 20 girls over a 40-year period.
Funeral director Robert Morphit said Wednesday that Savile's family had asked him to remove the stone to "protect the dignity and sanctity" of the cemetery in Scarborough in northeastern England. He said the stone was removed in three pieces and will be sent to a landfill.
Savile, who died last year aged 84, was one of Britain's best-known TV personalities.
The Metropolitan Police said Tuesday it had received eight criminal allegations against Savile, including two of rape and six of indecent assault, primarily against girls aged 13 to 16. The force believes there were up to 25 victims.
london, teens, child sex assault, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote 54 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ