Lady Gaga donates $1M to Red Cross for Sandy
NEW YORK (AP) - November 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- Lady Gaga is donating $1 million to the Red Cross to aid those affected by Superstorm Sandy.
The New York-born singer posted on her blog Wednesday that she is pledging the money on behalf of her parents and sister. She also said she "would not be the woman or artist that I am today" if it weren't for places like the Lower Eastside, Harlem, the Bronx and Brooklyn.
She writes: "Thank you for helping me build my spirit. I will now help you rebuild yours."
Superstorm Sandy made landfall more than a week ago, killing many of its more than 100 victims in New York City and New Jersey and leaving millions without power.
Lady Gaga added that New York is a place full of "relentless ambition."
lady gaga, red cross, hurricane sandy, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ