Jermaine Jackson petitions to alter famous name
LOS ANGELES (AP) -November 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Jermaine Jackson wants to change his name to something a little brighter. He's asking a court to allow him to alter his famous surname and become Jermaine Jacksun.
The older brother of Michael Jackson filed a name change petition on Tuesday in Los Angeles, stating the switch was for "artistic reasons."
The filing doesn't elaborate, but Jackson's friend Steve Dennis, who was speaking on the singer's behalf, said it's not unheard of for artists to change their names. "Phonetically, it changes nothing," he said.
"It is something he has chosen to do, and it's fair to say that you cannot blame this one on the boogie, you've got to blame it on the sunshine," Dennis said, in a play on the Jackson 5 disco hit, "Blame it on the Boogie."
Jackson has been touring with his brothers in recent months and has been promoting his book about his superstar brother titled "You Are Not Alone."
A hearing on whether Jackson will become Jacksun is scheduled for Feb. 22 in Los Angeles.
music, los angeles, michael jackson, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text 33 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch