Steven Tyler addresses Nicki Minaj 'racist' claim
NEW YORK (AP) - November 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Steven Tyler is apologizing - if Nicki Minaj misinterpreted his recent comments.
The former "American Idol" judge and Aerosmith frontman responded to Minaj's claim that he's a racist.
Minaj took offense to comments Tyler made during an MTV interview in which he said Bob Dylan would likely be immediately dismissed from this year's show.
"Idol" premieres Jan. 16 on the Fox network with Minaj, Mariah Carey and Keith Urban serving as new judges. The rapper called the comment racist and fired an expletive at the Aerosmith frontman, as well.
During an interview with the Canadian entertainment news program "eTalk," Tyler spoke directly to Minaj, saying: "I apologize if it was taken wrong, Nicki."
"I am the farthest from - what did she say I was? - a racist," Tyler said in the interview. "I'm the last thing on this planet as far as being a racist. I don't know where she got that out of me saying I'm not sure how she would have judged Bob Dylan. I was just saying that if Bob Dylan came on the show, he would've been thrown off, so maybe I spoke out of turn. But a racist I am not, Nicki."
steven tyler, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 2 dead in police involved shootings
- Showers, thunderstorms today 28 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Driver injured in crash involving Delaware fire chief 26 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Surveillance released in fatal Camden shooting
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
- Brutal attack in London heightens terror fears
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Finding the perfect bra