Steven Tyler addresses Nicki Minaj 'racist' claim
NEW YORK (AP) - November 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Steven Tyler is apologizing - if Nicki Minaj misinterpreted his recent comments.
The former "American Idol" judge and Aerosmith frontman responded to Minaj's claim that he's a racist.
Minaj took offense to comments Tyler made during an MTV interview in which he said Bob Dylan would likely be immediately dismissed from this year's show.
"Idol" premieres Jan. 16 on the Fox network with Minaj, Mariah Carey and Keith Urban serving as new judges. The rapper called the comment racist and fired an expletive at the Aerosmith frontman, as well.
During an interview with the Canadian entertainment news program "eTalk," Tyler spoke directly to Minaj, saying: "I apologize if it was taken wrong, Nicki."
"I am the farthest from - what did she say I was? - a racist," Tyler said in the interview. "I'm the last thing on this planet as far as being a racist. I don't know where she got that out of me saying I'm not sure how she would have judged Bob Dylan. I was just saying that if Bob Dylan came on the show, he would've been thrown off, so maybe I spoke out of turn. But a racist I am not, Nicki."
steven tyler, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter 56 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians 3 min ago
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles 1 min ago
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 3 min ago
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade 17 min ago
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
56 min ago