Stevie Wonder cancels concert for Israeli group
WASHINGTON (AP) - November 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Stevie Wonder is calling off a concert for a group that raises money for the Israeli military.
Wonder had been scheduled to perform Dec. 6 for Friends of the Israel Defense Forces, which raises money for Israeli soldiers and their families.
Wonder said the United Nations recommended canceling his performance because he is an official "Messenger of Peace" for the organization. The United Nations overwhelmingly voted to recognize a Palestinian state on Thursday over vehement U.S. and Israeli objections as hopes for Mideast peace talks stalled.
Wonder said in a statement he was canceling with a heavy heart but that "I am and have always been against war, any war, anywhere."
Several petitions had called on Wonder to cancel the performance.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast 3 min ago
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia 5 min ago
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 7 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall 31 min ago
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier