Winfrey picks Mathis' debut novel for book club
NEW YORK (AP) - December 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Add another book for possible holiday gifts: Oprah Winfrey's latest "2.0" selection.
Winfrey announced Wednesday that she has chosen a debut novel for her book club, "The Twelve Tribes of Hattie," by Ayana Mathis. An author interview will be aired Feb. 3 on Winfrey's OWN network. In a statement, Winfrey likened Mathis' book to the fiction of Toni Morrison. Published this week by Alfred A. Knopf, "Twelve Tribes" tells of a teenager's journey from Mississippi to Philadelphia in the 1920s and the large family she ends up raising.
Winfrey revived her club, now called Oprah's Book Club 2.0, earlier this year with Cheryl Strayed's memoir "Wild." Dozens of books over the past 20 years have become best-sellers, thanks to the talk-show host's endorsements.
oprah winfrey, writers, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila. 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker 23 min ago
- Couple accused of letting 2-year-old smoke pot
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- Neighbors help residents escape Trenton fire
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
36 min ago