One Direction named MTV's 2012 Artist of the Year
NEW YORK (AP) - December 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- They're platinum. They're fascinating. And now One Direction is MTV's 2012 Artist of the Year.
MTV says the fivesome is "the clear choice for the top spot" after a year that included two No. 1 albums, hits such as "What Makes You Beautiful" and a sold-out world tour.
One Direction's Louis Tomlinson calls Thursday's honor "the icing on the cake."
MTV's team of music staffers chose Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe" as song as the year.
One Direction placed third on the U.K. version of "The X Factor" in 2010 and made their U.S. debut in March with the No. 1 album "Up All Night." Their sophomore album, "Take Me Home," was the year's third-highest debut.
The group also made Barbara Walters' most fascinating people of 2012 list.
one direction, new york, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse 56 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland 49 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 55 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy 53 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Record Weekend Warmth
48 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater...
56 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos