Game maker THQ files for bankruptcy
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - December 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Struggling video game company THQ Inc. said Wednesday that it has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and is selling its business.
The Agoura Hills, Calif., company said investment firm Clearlake Capital Group has put in a $60 million "stalking horse" bid for its operations, which include four development studios and games in currently in development. The process allows others to come forward and place higher bids.
THQ said it plans to continue running its business as it moves through the sale, keeping studios open and continuing to develop games. It said it has secured $37.5 million in financing from Wells Fargo and Clearlake, pending court approval.
"The sale and filing are necessary next steps to complete THQ's transformation and position the company for the future, as we remain confident in our existing pipeline of games, the strength of our studios and THQ's deep bench of talent," said Brian Farrell, the company's chairman and CEO.
THQ's games include "Saints Row: The Third" and "UFC Undisputed 3." It has struggled to keep up with rival game developers such as Electronic Arts Inc. and Activision Blizzard Inc., which are much larger and have better-received games. The video-game industry itself is facing difficulties as consumers turn to mobile and online games instead of expensive packaged titles.
THQ said its foreign operations are not included in the bankruptcy filing.
Shares of THQ plunged $1.02, or 74 percent, to close at 36 cents on Wednesday.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 42 min ago
- Milder Monday 12 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 42 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 9 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 14 min ago
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 42 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
42 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
9 min ago
- Kevin Grow suits up with Harlem Globetrotters
20 min ago
- Milder Monday
12 min ago