Public memorial set for Ravi Shankar in Calif.
ENCINITAS, Calif. (AP) -December 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- World-famous musician Ravi Shankar will be remembered Thursday at a public memorial service in San Diego County.
City News Service reports the service will begin at 10 a.m. at the Self-Realization Fellowship in Encinitas and will include tributes and prayers.
Shankar was a master of the Indian sitar who collaborated with and influenced George Harrison, John Coltrane and other Western music icons. He lived in Encinitas for two decades and died last week in San Diego at the age of 92.
Shankar was the father of singer Norah Jones and Grammy-nominated sitarist Anoushka Shankar.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 56 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school 4 min ago
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests