Marilyn Monroe subway grate photo on view in NYC
NEW YORK (AP) -December 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- A famous image of Marilyn Monroe with her skirt billowing atop a New York City subway grate is on display in a picture-perfect spot: outside the Times Square subway station.
The supersized version of Sam Shaw's well-known picture is part of an exhibit. The exhibit also features eight of Shaw's other Monroe pictures, on view inside the 42nd Street-Bryant Park station on the B, D, F, M and 7 lines.
The show opened Thursday. It'll be up for a year.
Shaw shot the subway grate photo for the 1955 film "The Seven Year Itch." He took the other pictures in 1957.
The exhibit is part of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Arts for Transit program. Manager Lester Burg says matching a mass transit setting with a popular figure from mass culture seemed a good fit.
new york city, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 42 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow 57 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
57 min ago
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos