Sneak peak of 2013 Phila. Auto Show trends
PHILADELPHIA - December 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia International Auto Show starts Jan. 19. Here's a preview of new trends sure to rev your engines.
At the LA Auto Show in November, Chevrolet debuted their all electric plug-in compact car - the Spark EV.
Philly Auto Show Director Mike Gempp was there to gauge the reaction.
"The consumers have talked back and said, 'You know what, we like that idea, but we don't like the fact that we are range limited,'" said Gempp.
Mixing and matching power trains could be the solution.
"If you go over to Ford, you'll see they have an entire hybrid division called C-Max. So you can have a plug in, and you can have a hybrid. The gas engine and a hybrid is really a brilliant solution. And as technology crosses the line, the cost comes down," said Jean Jennings, President of Automobile Magazine.
However for some of today's drivers, the cost of hybrids is still a concern.
"I save $500 to $1,000 a year. Do I want to spend ten grand up front for that and they say no. One of the key things we're seeing is downsized engines with turbo charges and the idea is you replace a three liter with a two liter two cylinder turbo motor. With the turbo charger it makes just as much horsepower as the V6 did, but it gets the four cylinder fuel economy," said Csaba Csere, of Car & Driver.
In a few weeks, area drivers and car enthusiasts will be able ask questions and even test drive the new crop of fuel efficient models at the Philadelphia International Auto Show.
"In addition to the ride and drive offered on the main floor, like Toyota and Jeep. We're actually offering five outside drive and rides this year. So, the manufactures have really seen a response from being able to put a consumer behind the wheel of the vehicle at the auto show," said Gempp.
Don't forget to mark your calendars! The Philadelphia International Auto Show starts Jan. 19th!
philadelphia auto show, entertainment, adam joseph
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ