Thousands line route of Pasadena's Rose Parade
PASADENA, Calif. (AP) - January 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Thousands of people in Southern California are lining the route of the 124th Rose Parade in Pasadena.
The die-hards staked out their spots early Monday with folding chairs, hammocks and portable barbeque grills. They brought in the new year by throwing marshmallows, shaving cream and tortillas, and then hunkered down to stay warm in sleeping bags.
The parade features floats covered with flowers and plant material and marching bands from across the country. It will be broadcasts around the world.
College student Brandy Grueter (GROO'-ter) spent the night on the sidewalk with her younger brother and saved spots for about 20 friends and family. She says she slept 20 minutes but would rally enough energy once the parade started.
The pre-dawn line at a Starbuck's stretched around the block.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Homes damaged by Ocean County forest fire 36 min ago
- Winds Ease Overnight 31 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Wedding crashers caught on camera
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault 50 min ago
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Winds Ease Overnight
31 min ago
- Homes damaged by Ocean County forest fire
36 min ago
- Trenton pastors make a stand against violence
28 min ago
- Millions heading to Rome as 2 popes become...
47 min ago