Michelle Williams joining tour of 'Fela!'
NEW YORK (AP) - January 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- Former Destiny's Child member Michelle Williams is joining the latest national tour of the musical "Fela!"
Producers said Thursday the singer, who starred on the UPN sitcom "Half & Half," will be onstage when the tour opens at Sidney Harman Hall in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 29.
"Fela!" - a biography of Nigerian musician and activist Fela Anikulapo Kuti - will then play 16 cities, including Miami and Seattle.
Williams, part of Destiny's Child along with Kelly Rowland and Beyonce, is now solo artist who released the dance album "Unexpected" and the single "On The Run." Jay-Z, Beyonce's husband, is one of the producers of "Fela!" which won three Tony Awards.
Williams has appeared on Broadway in "Aida," on tour with "The Color Purple," and in London starring in "Chicago."
broadway, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Grandmother sentenced in Pa. baby's 2009 death 52 min ago
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Police question suspect in Christmas package theft
- Pa. man gets probation for 105 animals in mobile home
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings