Michelle Williams joining tour of 'Fela!'
NEW YORK (AP) - January 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- Former Destiny's Child member Michelle Williams is joining the latest national tour of the musical "Fela!"
Producers said Thursday the singer, who starred on the UPN sitcom "Half & Half," will be onstage when the tour opens at Sidney Harman Hall in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 29.
"Fela!" - a biography of Nigerian musician and activist Fela Anikulapo Kuti - will then play 16 cities, including Miami and Seattle.
Williams, part of Destiny's Child along with Kelly Rowland and Beyonce, is now solo artist who released the dance album "Unexpected" and the single "On The Run." Jay-Z, Beyonce's husband, is one of the producers of "Fela!" which won three Tony Awards.
Williams has appeared on Broadway in "Aida," on tour with "The Color Purple," and in London starring in "Chicago."
broadway, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Splendid spring finale
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Desmond's slam leads Nats over Phillies