'Zero Dark Thirty' captures No. 1 at box office
LOS ANGELES (AP) - January 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- "Zero Dark Thirty" hunted down the top spot at the box office - and easily won it.
Studio estimates Sunday show the controversial Osama bin Laden manhunt drama nabbed first place with $24 million in its first weekend as a wide release.
"Zero Dark Thirty" debuted nationwide this weekend after opening in a limited run last month. The Sony film earned five Academy Award nominations last week, including best picture, original screenplay and best actress for Jessica Chastain as dogged CIA operative Maya.
Open Road Films' horror parody "A Haunted House" starring Marlon Wayans came in second place with a solid $18.8 million.
The Warner Bros. mobster drama "Gangster Squad" starring Josh Brolin and Ryan Gosling as off-the-books police officers opened in third place with $16.7 million.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: Recent prostitution arrests in Philadelphia 15 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter 2 min ago
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 5 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape