British princesses run red light in Mini adventure
BERLIN (AP) - January 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- It was meant to be a Mini adventure; it nearly became a major embarrassment.
Two British royals on a mission to promote their country ran a red light near Berlin's iconic Brandenburg Gate.
With photographers and police in tow, driver Princess Eugenie and her older sister Princess Beatrice then took a swift right into the safety of the British embassy compound.
At least the 22 and 24-year-old sisters didn't have to decide which side of the road to drive their Mini on. The entire 500-meter (550-yard) staged tour was along one-way streets.
Ignoring a red light can bring a fine of ¬200 ($267) and a month's driving ban in Germany.
"Of course it's forbidden but so far we haven't had any reports," said Berlin police spokesman Carsten Mueller.
london, germany, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike 23 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water 36 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 21 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 34 min ago
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
23 min ago
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated...
36 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
5 min ago