British princesses run red light in Mini adventure
BERLIN (AP) - January 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- It was meant to be a Mini adventure; it nearly became a major embarrassment.
Two British royals on a mission to promote their country ran a red light near Berlin's iconic Brandenburg Gate.
With photographers and police in tow, driver Princess Eugenie and her older sister Princess Beatrice then took a swift right into the safety of the British embassy compound.
At least the 22 and 24-year-old sisters didn't have to decide which side of the road to drive their Mini on. The entire 500-meter (550-yard) staged tour was along one-way streets.
Ignoring a red light can bring a fine of ¬200 ($267) and a month's driving ban in Germany.
"Of course it's forbidden but so far we haven't had any reports," said Berlin police spokesman Carsten Mueller.
london, germany, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire 35 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend 25 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 4 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 22 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest