British princesses run red light in Mini adventure
BERLIN (AP) - January 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- It was meant to be a Mini adventure; it nearly became a major embarrassment.
Two British royals on a mission to promote their country ran a red light near Berlin's iconic Brandenburg Gate.
With photographers and police in tow, driver Princess Eugenie and her older sister Princess Beatrice then took a swift right into the safety of the British embassy compound.
At least the 22 and 24-year-old sisters didn't have to decide which side of the road to drive their Mini on. The entire 500-meter (550-yard) staged tour was along one-way streets.
Ignoring a red light can bring a fine of ¬200 ($267) and a month's driving ban in Germany.
"Of course it's forbidden but so far we haven't had any reports," said Berlin police spokesman Carsten Mueller.
london, germany, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- DUI suspected in Famous Footwear crash in Chesco 4 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 27 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police