Lagerfeld supports gay marriage in lesbian couture
PARIS (AP) - January 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Chanel's veteran couturier Karl Lagerfeld has used fashion to support a controversial French gay marriage law - sending two brides together down the catwalk.
Two models donned couture bridal gowns to cap Paris' Grand Palais fashion show, accompanied by Lagerfeld's young nephew.
"I don't even understand the debate. Since 1904 (in France) the church and state have been separate," Lagerfeld said after Tuesday's show.
The German-born designer also hit out against the "intolerance" of religion.
"If (those against) want a sacred religious union, (they can) in the church, temple, cathedral, synagogue or mosque."
However, Lagerfeld said he was opposed to gay couples being allowed to adopt children.
French President François Hollande is meeting with opponents of the proposed law on Friday.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 42 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
42 min ago