Lagerfeld supports gay marriage in lesbian couture
PARIS (AP) - January 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Chanel's veteran couturier Karl Lagerfeld has used fashion to support a controversial French gay marriage law - sending two brides together down the catwalk.
Two models donned couture bridal gowns to cap Paris' Grand Palais fashion show, accompanied by Lagerfeld's young nephew.
"I don't even understand the debate. Since 1904 (in France) the church and state have been separate," Lagerfeld said after Tuesday's show.
The German-born designer also hit out against the "intolerance" of religion.
"If (those against) want a sacred religious union, (they can) in the church, temple, cathedral, synagogue or mosque."
However, Lagerfeld said he was opposed to gay couples being allowed to adopt children.
French President François Hollande is meeting with opponents of the proposed law on Friday.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish 5 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar