Lagerfeld supports gay marriage in lesbian couture
PARIS (AP) - January 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Chanel's veteran couturier Karl Lagerfeld has used fashion to support a controversial French gay marriage law - sending two brides together down the catwalk.
Two models donned couture bridal gowns to cap Paris' Grand Palais fashion show, accompanied by Lagerfeld's young nephew.
"I don't even understand the debate. Since 1904 (in France) the church and state have been separate," Lagerfeld said after Tuesday's show.
The German-born designer also hit out against the "intolerance" of religion.
"If (those against) want a sacred religious union, (they can) in the church, temple, cathedral, synagogue or mosque."
However, Lagerfeld said he was opposed to gay couples being allowed to adopt children.
French President François Hollande is meeting with opponents of the proposed law on Friday.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville
- AccuWeather: Damp and Cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- NJ community joins forces to help 'storage locker' mom
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- Water main break forces evacuation of Fishtown bar
- Bicyclist struck in Kensington DUI crash
- White House insists Obama was not involved in IRS
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list