Prince Charles takes rare ride on London's subway
LONDON (AP) - January 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- Royalty means rarely having to mind the gap.
Britain's Prince Charles took a ride on the London subway Wednesday - for the first time in a quarter century.
Charles and his wife, Camilla, joined transit officials and commuters to mark the 150th anniversary of the Underground, the world's first subway system.
The subway system, which sees 3.5 million journeys a day, is well known for announcements warning passengers to "mind the gap between the train and the platform."
The royal couple traveled one stop, from Farringdon to King's Cross on the Metropolitan Line - the oldest section of the subway system, opened in 1863.
Charles last traveled by subway in 1986, when he and the late Princess Diana took the Tube to Heathrow Airport to open a new terminal.
prince charles, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95 3 min ago
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail 29 min ago
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Missing mom, baby from Newark, Del. found
- Sinkhole opens up on Northern Liberties street 48 min ago
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Tonight at 11: Are undercover stings...
41 min ago