Barbara Walters hospitalized with chickenpox
NEW YORK (AP) - January 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Barbara Walters would probably like to hit the reset button on 2013.
She's got the chickenpox and remains hospitalized more than a week after going in after falling and hitting her head at a pre-inaugural party in Washington on Jan. 19. A fellow host on the "The View," Whoopi Goldberg, said Monday that Walters has been transferred to a New York hospital and hopes to go home soon.
"She's been told to rest. She's not allowed any visitors," Goldberg said. "And we're telling you, Barbara, no scratching!"
The 83-year-old news veteran, who underwent heart surgery in May 2010, apparently avoided a disease that hits most people when they are children. It can be serious in older people because of the possibility of complications like pneumonia.
Even after concern about her fall had subsided, Walters had been kept hospitalized last week because of a lingering fever, and doctors found the unexpected cause.
"We love you, we miss you," Goldberg said on "The View," in a message to the show's inventor. "We just don't want to hug you."
barbara walters, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Snow today, heavy at times
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 45 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick in Mobile 6 on I-76
- Video: David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq.
- Video: John Rawlins on snow in E. Norriton
- Video: Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton
- Video: Katherine Scott on snow in Delaware
- 2 corrections officers hurt in Concord Twp. crash 9 min ago
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder