Barbara Walters hospitalized with chickenpox
NEW YORK (AP) - January 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Barbara Walters would probably like to hit the reset button on 2013.
She's got the chickenpox and remains hospitalized more than a week after going in after falling and hitting her head at a pre-inaugural party in Washington on Jan. 19. A fellow host on the "The View," Whoopi Goldberg, said Monday that Walters has been transferred to a New York hospital and hopes to go home soon.
"She's been told to rest. She's not allowed any visitors," Goldberg said. "And we're telling you, Barbara, no scratching!"
The 83-year-old news veteran, who underwent heart surgery in May 2010, apparently avoided a disease that hits most people when they are children. It can be serious in older people because of the possibility of complications like pneumonia.
Even after concern about her fall had subsided, Walters had been kept hospitalized last week because of a lingering fever, and doctors found the unexpected cause.
"We love you, we miss you," Goldberg said on "The View," in a message to the show's inventor. "We just don't want to hug you."
barbara walters, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 39 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped girls in class 12 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment 1 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 14 min ago
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home 6 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 53 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
14 min ago