Belgian King Albert humbled by criticism
BRUSSELS (AP) - January 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- King Albert of Belgium has told 600 dignitaries that recent scandals involving his family have given him "a lesson in humility."
During a royal reception Tuesday for political, economic and cultural leaders, Albert acknowledged that the Belgian monarchy had not kept to the standards he expected.
He said "as the chief of my royal family, I will not hide from you that recent family events have hurt me and given me a lesson in humility."
Last week, Queen Fabiola, Albert's sister-in-law, was forced to scrap an inheritance foundation that was widely criticized as a tax dodge. And the king's son Prince Laurent again came under scrutiny for perceived diplomatic contacts that he should stay away from.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 21 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow 11 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens 7 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 6 min ago
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 1 min ago
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 14 min ago
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
11 min ago
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
21 min ago
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
7 min ago