Belgian King Albert humbled by criticism
BRUSSELS (AP) - January 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- King Albert of Belgium has told 600 dignitaries that recent scandals involving his family have given him "a lesson in humility."
During a royal reception Tuesday for political, economic and cultural leaders, Albert acknowledged that the Belgian monarchy had not kept to the standards he expected.
He said "as the chief of my royal family, I will not hide from you that recent family events have hurt me and given me a lesson in humility."
Last week, Queen Fabiola, Albert's sister-in-law, was forced to scrap an inheritance foundation that was widely criticized as a tax dodge. And the king's son Prince Laurent again came under scrutiny for perceived diplomatic contacts that he should stay away from.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem 8 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 26 min ago
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School 9 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 46 min ago
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd 12 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
12 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos