Funeral for Sally Starr open to the public
BERLIN, N.J. - January 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- The family of beloved TV personality Sally Starr said her viewing and funeral will be open to the public.
Starr passed away Sunday at a nursing home in New Jersey just days after celebrating her 90th birthday.
Services will be held at the Costantino Funeral Home at 231 West White Horse Pike in Berlin, New Jersey.
The viewing will be held from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Monday, February 4th. The funeral will start at 8:00 p.m.
Starr's burial will be held on Tuesday in a private service for family only.
Affectionately known to fans as "Our Gal Sal," she began her decades-long career as a disc jockey in 1948. She became host of "Popeye Theater" two years later on the former WFIL-TV, now WPVI.
On the two-hour weekday variety show, Starr introduced cartoons, Popeye, the Three Stooges, and celebrity guests to a generation of young people. She became recognized for her trademark spangled, fringed cowgirl costume.
The program was canceled in 1972 and Starr retired to Florida. But she returned to the area a decade later.
While residing in Atco, Starr earned a living from personal appearances and selling airtime on her "High Noon" radio show that aired on Sundays. She hosted the Vineland show on radio station WVLT into her 80s.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos