Funeral for Sally Starr open to the public
BERLIN, N.J. - January 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- The family of beloved TV personality Sally Starr said her viewing and funeral will be open to the public.
Starr passed away Sunday at a nursing home in New Jersey just days after celebrating her 90th birthday.
Services will be held at the Costantino Funeral Home at 231 West White Horse Pike in Berlin, New Jersey.
The viewing will be held from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Monday, February 4th. The funeral will start at 8:00 p.m.
Starr's burial will be held on Tuesday in a private service for family only.
Affectionately known to fans as "Our Gal Sal," she began her decades-long career as a disc jockey in 1948. She became host of "Popeye Theater" two years later on the former WFIL-TV, now WPVI.
On the two-hour weekday variety show, Starr introduced cartoons, Popeye, the Three Stooges, and celebrity guests to a generation of young people. She became recognized for her trademark spangled, fringed cowgirl costume.
The program was canceled in 1972 and Starr retired to Florida. But she returned to the area a decade later.
While residing in Atco, Starr earned a living from personal appearances and selling airtime on her "High Noon" radio show that aired on Sundays. She hosted the Vineland show on radio station WVLT into her 80s.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed