Funeral for Sally Starr open to the public
BERLIN, N.J. - January 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- The family of beloved TV personality Sally Starr said her viewing and funeral will be open to the public.
Starr passed away Sunday at a nursing home in New Jersey just days after celebrating her 90th birthday.
Services will be held at the Costantino Funeral Home at 231 West White Horse Pike in Berlin, New Jersey.
The viewing will be held from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Monday, February 4th. The funeral will start at 8:00 p.m.
Starr's burial will be held on Tuesday in a private service for family only.
Affectionately known to fans as "Our Gal Sal," she began her decades-long career as a disc jockey in 1948. She became host of "Popeye Theater" two years later on the former WFIL-TV, now WPVI.
On the two-hour weekday variety show, Starr introduced cartoons, Popeye, the Three Stooges, and celebrity guests to a generation of young people. She became recognized for her trademark spangled, fringed cowgirl costume.
The program was canceled in 1972 and Starr retired to Florida. But she returned to the area a decade later.
While residing in Atco, Starr earned a living from personal appearances and selling airtime on her "High Noon" radio show that aired on Sundays. She hosted the Vineland show on radio station WVLT into her 80s.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 1 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 28 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 22 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 20 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 40 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
22 min ago