Advertisers releasing Super Bowl ads early
SAN FRANCISCO -- Companies are caught up early in Super Bowl frenzy and several have already released their Super Bowl ads well ahead of the big game as part of a shifting new strategy. The strategy appears to be working but some companies, like Budweiser, still prefer a little secrecy before their ads appear. Others want as many consumers as possible to see their ads ahead of time.
Some advertisers like godaddy.com are releasing their ads more than a week ahead of the game. "I thought it was quite hilarious. I think the Jamaican accent's always great. Perfect for a Monday morning," San Francisco resident Kyle Walsh said referring to a new Volkswagen ad.
YouTube says ads that ran online for the Super Bowl last year got an average of 9 million views. The companies that waited until game day got an average of 1.3 million. San Francisco ad agency Venables, Bell, and Partners says that's a big deal.
"Our studies show that about 30 percent of Americans are actually seeking out ads over a week and up, before the game," Lucy Farey-Jones said. "So, obviously you're getting somewhat free impressions in addition to those game day impressions."
But some old-school fans don't want any spoilers before the game.
"I think that ruins it actually because it's the excitement every year of what crazy things are people going to come out with to try to sell their businesses," Kate Reboli told ABC7 News. "Well, that's the reason I watch it. So, I think that's a big spoiler."
Ad executives say half of Americans will re-watch their favorite ads after the game.
By the way, this year, 30 seconds of airtime during the Super Bowl will cost advertisers $4 million.
television, san francisco 49ers, super bowl, entertainment
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish