Fox's Geraldo Rivera weighing US Senate run in NJ
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - February 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Geraldo Rivera, who hosts a weekend show on Fox News Channel, said Thursday he's seriously thinking about running for U.S. Senate in New Jersey.
"Buckle your seat belts!" said Rivera before announcing, on his radio show on WABC-AM in New York, that he is "truly contemplating" a Senate bid.
He said he has spoken to some people in the New Jersey GOP about a run, but he didn't say what they told him.
Rivera got a mixed response when he asked his 30,000 Twitter followers how they feel about him challenging either Sen. Frank Lautenberg or Newark Mayor Cory Booker.
At 89, Lautenberg is the oldest sitting U.S. senator. The Democrat hasn't said if he will seek re-election.
Booker, also a Democrat, has announced he is exploring a run but hasn't made clear if he would challenge Lautenberg in a primary, should he seek another term.
No Republican has formally announced an interest in running.
Rivera, who is 69, said he has commitments to Fox and the radio show, but "I figure at my age if I'm going to do it, I gotta do it."
"And there doesn't seem to be any Republicans ready to work against or run against" Lautenberg or Booker, he said.
The New Jersey Republican party did not return an email asking for comment.
u.s. senate, republicans, new jersey, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Fla
- AccuWeather: Damp and cooler 22 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- Water main break forces evacuation of Fishtown bar 57 min ago
- Bicyclist struck in Kensington DUI crash 43 min ago
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges
- Probe into Conn. train crash giving way to cleanup 13 min ago
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Child falls from 2-story window in Point Breeze
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in 3 min ago
- American Cancer Society celebrates 100 years 24 min ago
- Water main break forces evacuation of...
57 min ago
- Bicyclist struck in Kensington DUI crash
43 min ago