One Direction set to play music's Brit Awards
LONDON (AP) - February 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- One Direction, Justin Timberlake and Mumford & Sons are getting ready to perform Wednesday at Britain's leading music awards, where nominees include the late soul diva Amy Winehouse.
Mumford & Sons, Emeli Sande and Alt-J lead the nominations for the Brit Awards, with three each.
Winehouse - who died in July 2011 from accidental alcohol poisoning - is up for best British female artist. She is eligible thanks to her posthumous "Lioness: Hidden Treasures" album.
Other nominees include the Rolling Stones, up for best live act against Coldplay, Mumford & Sons, Muse and The Vaccines.
Among the international nominees are Alicia Keys, Rihanna, the Black Keys, Bruce Springsteen and indie-pop band, fun.
Contenders for the biggest award of the night, best album, include Sande's "Our Version Of Events," Alt-J's "An Awesome Wave," Mumford & Sons' "Babel," Plan B's "Ill Manors" and Paloma Faith's "Fall To Grace."
Long derided as dull, the Brits have become a lively celebration of "Cool Britannia" music and style. This year's awards, hosted by actor-comedian James Corden, come with British music riding high around the world.
This year sees the introduction of a new category recognizing global success, with nominees including tween favorites One Direction, Grammy winning folk rockers Mumford & Sons and soulful songstress Adele.
Organizers have promised to make amends to Adele, who was cut off mid-speech last year after winning two prizes. She is nominated this year for her single "Skyfall."
"How can you take an artist who has made the biggest cultural impact musically this country has seen globally for some time and cut her off in the middle of her speech?" Brits chairman David Joseph told The Guardian.
ý"I very much to this day question what was happening in that control booth. I can hint something is going to happen this year to rewrite that wrong."
Most of the awards are chosen by more than 1,000 musicians, critics and record industry figures, with several decided by public vote.
london, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
- Steamy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say 10 min ago
- Police: 2 caught red-handed in Radnor burlgary
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del.
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- New push to revitalize West Philly's Lancaster Ave.