Lou Myers, Mr. Gaines on 'A Different World,' dies
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - February 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Actor Lou Myers, best known for his role as Mr. Gaines on the television series "A Different World," has died.
Tonia McDonald of Myers' nonprofit, Global Business Incubation Inc., says Myers died Tuesday night at Charleston Area Medical Center in West Virginia. She said he was 76.
McDonald said Wednesday that Myers had been in-and-out of the hospital since before Christmas and collapsed recently. She says an autopsy was planned.
A native of Chesapeake, W.Va., Myers had returned to the state and lived in the Charleston area.
His TV credits included "NYPD Blue," ''E.R.," ''The Cosby Show," ''Touched by an Angel," and more. He also appeared in a number of films, including "Tin Cup," ''How Stella Got Her Groove Back," ''Wedding Planner" and more.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 18 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 5 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 2 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures