Lou Myers, Mr. Gaines on 'A Different World,' dies
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - February 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Actor Lou Myers, best known for his role as Mr. Gaines on the television series "A Different World," has died.
Tonia McDonald of Myers' nonprofit, Global Business Incubation Inc., says Myers died Tuesday night at Charleston Area Medical Center in West Virginia. She said he was 76.
McDonald said Wednesday that Myers had been in-and-out of the hospital since before Christmas and collapsed recently. She says an autopsy was planned.
A native of Chesapeake, W.Va., Myers had returned to the state and lived in the Charleston area.
His TV credits included "NYPD Blue," ''E.R.," ''The Cosby Show," ''Touched by an Angel," and more. He also appeared in a number of films, including "Tin Cup," ''How Stella Got Her Groove Back," ''Wedding Planner" and more.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book