Oscars expand social media outreach for 85th show
LOS ANGELES (AP) - February 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is encouraging celebrities to tweet during the Oscars.
The film organization has expanded its digital outreach for the 85th Academy Awards with a new feature that lets stars to snap photos of themselves backstage during Sunday's ceremony and instantly post them online.
What Twitter calls a "Magic Mirror" will take photo-booth-style pictures of participating stars in the green room and send them out on the academy's official Twitter account. Organizers expect multiple celebrity mash-ups.
The backstage green room is a private place for stars to hang out before taking the stage and is typically closed to press and photographers.
The Magic Mirror is "giving access to fans at home a part of the show they never got to experience before," Twitter spokeswoman Elaine Filadelfo said Friday.
A new video-on-demand/instant replay feature also being introduced Sunday will allow Oscar fans to view show highlights online moments after they happen and share them with friends on Twitter and Facebook. Dozens of clips from the red carpet and the awards telecast will be available on the official Oscar website beyond Sunday's ceremony.
Oscar.com also offers other behind-the-scenes interactive features, including various backstage camera perspectives and a new live blog that aggregates the show's presence across social media. It will track the traffic on whatever makes a splash, like Angelina Jolie's right leg did last year.
The academy wants to make its second-screen experience just as rich as its primary one.
"Social media is now mainstream," said Christina Kounelias, chief marketing officer for the academy.
"We're not doing social media to reach out to young kids," said the academy's digital media director, Josh Spector. "We're doing it to connect with all Oscar fans."
oscars, twitter, los angeles, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine! 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment 7 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel 19 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 57 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 48 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst 51 min ago
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious'
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine!
29 min ago