Rapper Tone Loc collapses on stage in Iowa
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - March 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- Rapper Tone Loc didn't want to be hospitalized after collapsing on stage during a weekend performance in Iowa.
Loc, whose real name is Anthony T. Smith, collapsed after finishing a song during a Saturday night concert on a downtown Des Moines bridge.
The concert ended abruptly while the 47-year-old was treated. Three employees of the Des Moines Register who were at the show said several minutes after Loc collapsed, fans were asked to leave.
Police Sgt. Steve Woody told the newspaper that paramedics responded after Loc collapsed, but he refused to be taken to a hospital.
Loc's representative did not respond to messages Sunday, and it wasn't clear why he collapsed.
It wasn't the rapper's first time collapsing on stage. Loc, who is best known for his 1980s hits "Funky Cold Medina" and "Wild Thing," collapsed and had a seizure during a 2009 concert in Pensacola, Fla. Authorities said he had apparently overheated.
Loc also collapsed in 1995 while attending a Los Angeles Lakers game. The reason he collapsed wasn't given.
Loc has also appeared in a number of television shows and movies, including "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" with Jim Carrey and "Heat" with Al Pacino. Loc has also been the voice of several animated characters.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Tracking Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos