'The Croods' catches fire with $44.7M opening
LOS ANGELES (AP) - March 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- The caveman comedy "The Croods" left an indelible mark on the wall, opening at No. 1 with an estimated $44.7 million.
The 3-D adventure from DreamWorks Animation and 20th Century Fox features a voice cast including Nicolas Cage, Emma Stone and Catherine Keener. They play a prehistoric family encountering danger and strange new creatures when they're forced to find a new cave.
Opening strongly in second place with $30.5 million was "Olympus Has Fallen," an action thriller in which North Korean terrorists take over the White House. Gerard Butler leads an all-star cast that includes Aaron Eckhart as the president, Morgan Freeman and Angela Bassett. The opening far exceeded distributor FilmDistrict's expectations, which were in the under-$20 million range.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse 1 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse
1 min ago