'The Croods' catches fire with $44.7M opening
LOS ANGELES (AP) - March 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- The caveman comedy "The Croods" left an indelible mark on the wall, opening at No. 1 with an estimated $44.7 million.
The 3-D adventure from DreamWorks Animation and 20th Century Fox features a voice cast including Nicolas Cage, Emma Stone and Catherine Keener. They play a prehistoric family encountering danger and strange new creatures when they're forced to find a new cave.
Opening strongly in second place with $30.5 million was "Olympus Has Fallen," an action thriller in which North Korean terrorists take over the White House. Gerard Butler leads an all-star cast that includes Aaron Eckhart as the president, Morgan Freeman and Angela Bassett. The opening far exceeded distributor FilmDistrict's expectations, which were in the under-$20 million range.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)