'The Croods' catches fire with $44.7M opening
LOS ANGELES (AP) - March 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- The caveman comedy "The Croods" left an indelible mark on the wall, opening at No. 1 with an estimated $44.7 million.
The 3-D adventure from DreamWorks Animation and 20th Century Fox features a voice cast including Nicolas Cage, Emma Stone and Catherine Keener. They play a prehistoric family encountering danger and strange new creatures when they're forced to find a new cave.
Opening strongly in second place with $30.5 million was "Olympus Has Fallen," an action thriller in which North Korean terrorists take over the White House. Gerard Butler leads an all-star cast that includes Aaron Eckhart as the president, Morgan Freeman and Angela Bassett. The opening far exceeded distributor FilmDistrict's expectations, which were in the under-$20 million range.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Person of interest ID'd in hit-and-run 1 min ago
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose