Bloom, Rashad in Broadway's 'Romeo and Juliet'
NEW YORK (AP) - April 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Orlando Bloom and Condola Rashad will star on Broadway this fall in a modern take on William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet," a revival that will add an element of racial contrast to the tale of two "star-crossed lovers."
Producers said Monday that previews at the Richard Rodgers Theatre will begin Aug. 24 with an opening set for Sept. 19. Tickets will go on sale to the general public on April 8.The production will also star Jayne Houdyshell as the Nurse and Joe Morton as Lord Capulet. The Capulets will be played by black actors and the Montagues by white actors.
Director David Leveaux stressed that the idea of exploring the racial difference between the two feuding Italian families came organically after the casting of the lead actor and actress.
broadway, theater, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 6 min ago
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia 23 min ago
- Doors smashed in 2 Prices Corner store burglaries
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 8 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila. 27 min ago
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
1 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
8 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N....
27 min ago