John, Taupin honored by Songwriters Hall of Fame
NEW YORK (AP) - April 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Elton John and his longtime songwriting partner, Bernie Taupin, will be honored at this year's Songwriters Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
John and Taupin, who teamed on most of the singer's best-known hits, will receive the Johnny Mercer Award during the June 13 ceremony in New York.
A Tuesday news release says the award goes to previous inductees - John and Taupin were inducted in 1992 - whose body of work upholds the standards set by Mercer, a co-founder of Capitol Records.
John and Taupin have teamed on some of rock 'n' roll's most well-known songs, including "Rocket Man," ''Crocodile Rock," ''Daniel" and "Candle in the Wind."
This year's inductees are Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of Aerosmith; Mick Jones and Lou Gramm of Foreigner; Holly Knight; JD Souther; and Tony Hatch.
elton john, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police