Ebert: Cancer returns, taking 'leave of presence'
CHICAGO (AP) - April 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- Film critic Roger Ebert says he has cancer again and is scaling back his movie reviews while undergoing radiation.
In a blog post, the 70-year-old said he'll take a "leave of presence."
The veteran critic has previously battled cancer in his thyroid and salivary glands and lost the ability to speak and eat after surgery.
In a lengthy essay posted late Tuesday, Ebert says the latest cancer was discovered after a "painful fracture" that made it difficult for him to walk. The Pulitzer Prize winner was hospitalized late last year with a hip fracture.
Ebert writes he's "not going away." Instead, he'll write select movie reviews while leaving the rest of the work to a team of writers.
He also plans to spend time writing about his own health challenges.
roger ebert, cancer, movies, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight 9 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ