Funeral held for movie critic Roger Ebert
CHICAGO (AP) - April 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Acclaimed film critic Roger Ebert has been praised at his funeral as a hero to his profession, a champion for the little guy and a visionary.
Ebert was remembered Monday at a downtown Chicago church. He died Thursday after a long battle with cancer.
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Ebert's former Chicago Sun-Times boss John Barron spoke at the funeral. Ebert's widow, Chaz Ebert, also spoke, remembering her late husband as a "soldier for social justice."
Jonathan Jackson read statements from his father, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, and filmmaker Spike Lee.
The service had funny and serious moments. Emanuel joked that Ebert saw bad movies so the rest of us wouldn't have to. Ebert's stepdaughter, Sonia Evans, remembered him as "a world-class human being."
roger ebert, cancer, movies, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 4 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Fire forces several residents from Logan apts. 50 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping 28 min ago
- Fire forces several residents from Logan...
50 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
4 min ago
- Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
28 min ago