Princess Alexandra? UK royal baby name bets surge
LONDON (AP) - April 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- If you believe the bookmakers, the first child of Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge will be a girl, and she will be called Alexandra.
British bookies firm Coral has slashed the odds on the name to 2-1 from 25-1 after receiving an unusually large flurry of bets on it.
Spokesman Simon Clare said Thursday the company had taken 10,000 bets on various names, but he was surprised to see about 2,000 pounds ($3,080) in bets on Alexandra in a matter of hours.
Rivals William Hill and Ladbrokes also have Alexandra as 2-1 favorite.
Earlier, Coral suspended bets on the baby being a girl. The royal couple say they don't know the gender, but last month the former Kate Middleton appeared to let slip that it was a girl.
kate middleton, prince william, royals, london, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ