Princess Alexandra? UK royal baby name bets surge
LONDON (AP) - April 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- If you believe the bookmakers, the first child of Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge will be a girl, and she will be called Alexandra.
British bookies firm Coral has slashed the odds on the name to 2-1 from 25-1 after receiving an unusually large flurry of bets on it.
Spokesman Simon Clare said Thursday the company had taken 10,000 bets on various names, but he was surprised to see about 2,000 pounds ($3,080) in bets on Alexandra in a matter of hours.
Rivals William Hill and Ladbrokes also have Alexandra as 2-1 favorite.
Earlier, Coral suspended bets on the baby being a girl. The royal couple say they don't know the gender, but last month the former Kate Middleton appeared to let slip that it was a girl.
kate middleton, prince william, royals, london, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: Recent prostitution arrests in Philadelphia
- Clouds to sun, cool today 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 33 min ago
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident 54 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape
- Driver killed in collision with taxi cab in...
58 min ago
- Firefighters battle 3-alarm blaze in...
55 min ago