Princess Alexandra? UK royal baby name bets surge
LONDON (AP) - April 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- If you believe the bookmakers, the first child of Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge will be a girl, and she will be called Alexandra.
British bookies firm Coral has slashed the odds on the name to 2-1 from 25-1 after receiving an unusually large flurry of bets on it.
Spokesman Simon Clare said Thursday the company had taken 10,000 bets on various names, but he was surprised to see about 2,000 pounds ($3,080) in bets on Alexandra in a matter of hours.
Rivals William Hill and Ladbrokes also have Alexandra as 2-1 favorite.
Earlier, Coral suspended bets on the baby being a girl. The royal couple say they don't know the gender, but last month the former Kate Middleton appeared to let slip that it was a girl.
kate middleton, prince william, royals, london, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ