"Senna" director to make Amy Winehouse documentary
LONDON (AP) - April 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- The director of award-winning film "Senna" is making a documentary about the late soul singer Amy Winehouse.
Focus Features International says the movie will feature unseen archive footage to tell the story of the art and life of the musician, who died at age 27 in London in 2011 from accidental alcohol poisoning.
The Winehouse family said in a statement Thursday that it had been approached with many documentary proposals, but "Senna" director Asif Kapadia and producer James Gay-Rees presented a vision that would "look at Amy's story sensitively, honestly and without sensationalizing her."
"Senna," the acclaimed 2010 film, focused on the life of Brazilian F1 driver Ayrton Senna. The champion racer was killed in an accident in 1994.
amy winehouse, london, movies, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man rescued from Schuylkill River 5 min ago
- Boston Marathon to be under tight security 9 min ago
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous' 6 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Camden teen reported missing
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear 23 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!