Kareena says women's role in Bollywood is changing
NEW DELHI (AP) - April 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Bollywood star Kareena Kapoor says the portrayal of women in Indian cinema is changing.
Kapoor says Bollywood has begun portraying women in a more positive manner. Women's "roles are being written by new and young directors and they are showing that we are not just objects of desire," she said.
For the most part women lead subservient lives in India, and Bollywood's portrayal of women is no different. In most Indian films, the female lead's job is to pout and make the male protagonist look good.
Kapoor was speaking on New Delhi Television channel on Monday after receiving NDTV's "Entertainer of the Decade" award. She has acted in more than 50 films since joining the film industry in 2000.
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub 9 min ago
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Macklemore, Lamar muscle into Grammy picture
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub
9 min ago