Kareena says women's role in Bollywood is changing
NEW DELHI (AP) - April 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Bollywood star Kareena Kapoor says the portrayal of women in Indian cinema is changing.
Kapoor says Bollywood has begun portraying women in a more positive manner. Women's "roles are being written by new and young directors and they are showing that we are not just objects of desire," she said.
For the most part women lead subservient lives in India, and Bollywood's portrayal of women is no different. In most Indian films, the female lead's job is to pout and make the male protagonist look good.
Kapoor was speaking on New Delhi Television channel on Monday after receiving NDTV's "Entertainer of the Decade" award. She has acted in more than 50 films since joining the film industry in 2000.
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 2 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
2 min ago