Country icon sends prayer tweet after Texas blast
WEST, Texas (AP) - April 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Country music legend Willie Nelson is sending out his prayers via Twitter after a deadly fertilizer plant explosion rocked West, Texas, a small community north of Waco near where he grew up.
"West has been in my backyard all my life," Nelson tweeted early Thursday. "My heart is praying for the community that we call home."
When not on the road touring, Nelson has lived in Austin, Texas, since 1971. But he was born and grew up 120 miles north of the state capital, in tiny Abbott, which is about five miles north of West.
The explosion Wednesday at West Fertilizer injured dozens of people and officials say there were fatalities.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains 37 min ago
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington 57 min ago
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA...
37 min ago