Country icon sends prayer tweet after Texas blast
WEST, Texas (AP) - April 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Country music legend Willie Nelson is sending out his prayers via Twitter after a deadly fertilizer plant explosion rocked West, Texas, a small community north of Waco near where he grew up.
"West has been in my backyard all my life," Nelson tweeted early Thursday. "My heart is praying for the community that we call home."
When not on the road touring, Nelson has lived in Austin, Texas, since 1971. But he was born and grew up 120 miles north of the state capital, in tiny Abbott, which is about five miles north of West.
The explosion Wednesday at West Fertilizer injured dozens of people and officials say there were fatalities.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!