Country icon sends prayer tweet after Texas blast
WEST, Texas (AP) - April 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Country music legend Willie Nelson is sending out his prayers via Twitter after a deadly fertilizer plant explosion rocked West, Texas, a small community north of Waco near where he grew up.
"West has been in my backyard all my life," Nelson tweeted early Thursday. "My heart is praying for the community that we call home."
When not on the road touring, Nelson has lived in Austin, Texas, since 1971. But he was born and grew up 120 miles north of the state capital, in tiny Abbott, which is about five miles north of West.
The explosion Wednesday at West Fertilizer injured dozens of people and officials say there were fatalities.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos